Monday, June 22, 2009

Thinking and Believing

What do you believe?

Why do you believe it?

Have you ever really thought about it?

Could you explain it and give any rational reasoning behind it?

Are your core beliefs based on something someone told you, something you have read, or is it based on something you have put some deep thought and energy into?

For example, I have a friend who told me, “You know, I believe that we all just keep living and dying and living again in one great circle that never really ends.” That’s nice. I read those books too. Robert Jordan’s ‘Wheel of Time’ series is a great science fiction fantasy series, but for the record, it is a fictional story with no basis in reality.

I worked with a guy who said to me, “I don’t know why you follow that Christian crap. It’s all false. They discovered the Dead Sea scrolls at Nag Hamadi and the Gospel of John Thomas proves that Leonardo Da Vinci married Mary Magdalene and they had Baby Jesus right after he painted the Sistine Chapel.” Oh. I read the Da Vinci Code. Did you look on the side and see where it says, ‘Fiction’? The book wasn’t even that good. It was a mediocre mystery. The movie was awful. Frankly, Dan Brown’s other two books, Angels and Demons and Deception Point were much better written stories. Even with the nudge, nudge, wink, wink disclaimer at the front of the Da Vinci Code, his scholarship and historical ‘facts’ leave much to be desired.

Time and time again, I meet people who say, “All religions say pretty much the same thing, I believe that all religions get you to heaven.” That’s one of my favorites. Do you know anything at all about the religions of the world? Have you read even one of their holy books? Have you read even a few words of them? Really? Buddhists get to go to heaven? Boy, won’t they be surprised, considering they don’t even believe in heaven. What about the Shinto believers who get to heaven and find out that all those trees and rocks were really just trees and rocks because all of the kamis were actually in heaven? Or, what about Jehovah’s Witnesses, they are expecting to get there and be alone, they won’t be happy to find the place so crowded. And wait a minute, which heaven? Will there be the eternal feasting and battles of Valhalla? Or the 77 virgins of Islam? How about we all get to be gods of our own Mormon world and populate it with spirit babies. Or, how about we all castrate ourselves and ride on the Hale-Bopp comet to heaven together? Hmmm.

Then there are those people who believe that there is one God who created the world. They tell these seemingly mythological stories about a flood and a rainbow, about prophecies that came true, about some guy nailed to a cross who came back to life and other crazy stuff like that. These Christians love to tell anyone who will listen all about it. Do they even know what they believe or why they should believe it?

I once knew a guy who loved to argue with Christians when he was in college. He was really good at it and often left them sputtering in frustration as he disassembled their ostensibly silly beliefs. Once, he even left a girl in tears in the middle of Ethics class as he talked her in circles about her Christian beliefs.

That guy was me, the first time in college. I’m not proud of it now, but I used to love to meet those young Christian zealots, marching their way into secular college classes, trying to introduce their faith to others. I knew some things about their Bible and beliefs better than they did and it wasn’t hard to frustrate them. I also knew the right buttons to push, the right things to say, to leave them confused and doubting. All of this was great fun at the time.

Until I met Al. Al was a pastor who actually sat down to talk to me. I was ready for him. What a fight this was going to be. I’d graduated from the featherweights and was ready for a heavyweight match. I knew that, as a pastor, he was going to be a harder nut to crack, but up till that point I was undefeated.

In the end, I was the one that sat there sputtering as he disassembled every argument that I had ever used. I lost round after round as he used logic and rational thought to slap down every silly argument that I had ever used against Christians. Ultimately, I had believed in nothing and therefore had nothing to stand on.

I have been encouraged by another Pastor, Chip Moody. He showed me the importance of education, the significance of searching for answers, and the power of truth in the face of earnest questions.

Thirteen years later, I am a Christian pastor, having gone though much struggle and long hours of study, three years of Bible college, and personal study. My studies continue as I go on to pursue my Masters Degree.

I realize these days, just how easy it would have been for any of those Christian kids to defeat me in arguments, if they only had been taught to discuss intelligently and defend their beliefs with solid apologetics. They were sent out as sheep among wolves but were never taught to be shrewd as snakes (Matthew 10:16). They were taught to love the Lord their God with all of their hearts and soul, but weren’t taught to use their minds (Matthew 22:37).

Now, as I teach each new generation of kids, I despair as I watch them go out into the secular college. Did I teach them enough? Do they know what they believe and why? I know there are people like the old-me out there waiting for them. I can only pray that for each antagonist out there, there will be an Al waiting to challenge their beliefs, to help them know the truth.

Al passed away several years ago, before I ever go to tell him thank you for all he did for me. Because of busy lives and distance, I only just found out this last year.

Thank you Al. I wait for the day when I can see you again and say thank you in person.


Father God, I thank you for men like Pastor Al and Pastor Chip. I pray, Lord, for those young men and women that go out into the world. I ask that you give them the strength to face those that would assault your word, the wisdom to defeat attacks with logic and reason, and the understanding to do this with gentle love and not with condemnation.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. At the end of the day, personal Bible study and prayer is the best preparation for us lambs. I have found the study of the Bible, its authors, its cultures and its history absolutely fascinating. I have been doing it for nearly 30 years and I still find it as fresh as my first day. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog