Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Financial Tip # 9 - Planting Trees

We just had two new trees planted at the church today; they were a donation in memory of Mark Tibben, a former member who passed away recently. These skinny little trees are just under two inches in diameter and about nine feet tall with a little foliage on them, but not much. I’m told that in a few years they will grow quite large, ultimately with a spread of about 35-45 feet on their branches. Within ten to fifteen years these trees will grow over 20 feet and can get up to 40-60 in height with care.

Planting a tree is a hope-filled act. They provide no shade today and little in the next few years. But, there is hope. In later years these trees will bring joy to many other people. Children will climb in the branches. Teens will cuddle in the shade. Picnic blankets will be thrown under the branches. Parents will point out bird’s nests to their preschoolers. Deep discussions will be had and perhaps a few naps.
When we are looking at our money, we need to remember an incredibly key point: you have to give some away. The Bible is replete with God’s desire that we provide for the poor, shelter the homeless, clothe the naked, adopt the orphan, and support the widows in need. This is how you plant trees with your finances.
There are few greater joys in life than giving away some of what God has provided for you. Many people use a 10 percent rule, but don’t let that limit you. When you give money away to a good cause, it changes you. You grow too. You experience joy too. It’s not just about the person receiving the gift.
Let me encourage you to recognize the power of wealth freely given. It doesn’t take much, but it will grow if you let it. I once worked with a guy who was always on to the next get-rich-quick scheme. He once told me, “Rodger, I want to be rich so that one day, I can make a big donation to a church, or have a homeless shelter built in my name. I want to do good with my money when I get there.”
I then asked him the hard question, “How much did you give to others last week?”
“Why nothing,” he said, “I’m not rich yet.”
“If you aren’t giving when you have a little, then you won’t give when you have more,” was my reply.
I have observed in life, that it is often the poorest people who are the most generous. I hope I made him think. I don’t know if he ever made giving a habit, but I hope so.
Generosity is a lifestyle and it is one that can touch people’s lives. Every year, I take a group of high schoolers to a summer conference that occurs on college campuses in California or Colorado. There is always a point during the week where we have an evening off and go off to do some fun activity such as white water rafting, horseback riding, or go to the beach. Taking a dozen teens into town can be challenging. A few years ago, we took the group to a Mexican restaurant for dinner on our free night and the kids were a little rowdy and silly. So, when we collected money from everyone for dinner and a tip, I asked each kid to give above their normal tip amount so that we could bless the poor waitress that put up with us. The adult volunteers and I did the same. When all was said and done, we paid $150 for the meal and left $150 for tip!!! We quickly left, because I didn’t want to be there when she found the tip. We went into town and walked around for a few hours waiting for time for our next event. At one point, I realized that I needed to use the restroom and all of the businesses had signs that said “no public restrooms.” I decided to go back to the restaurant, since I had been a customer there and it was only a few blocks away. When I walked in, our waitress saw me and glumly said, “I figured you’d be back. You paid too much.” I smiled really big at here and said, “No, I know how much we left you, that was all a tip for you. God bless you.” She got tears in her eyes and quietly said, “Thank you,” then started crying and turned towards the back. I will never know what all was going on in her life, but I know we touched her life that day.
Let me recommend that you plant some trees (figuratively). Invest in someone else by providing for their needs. Donate money to a local church ministry. Give to a homeless shelter. Write a check to an afterschool program for poor families. Leave a big tip for a waiter or waitress. Be generous.
Let me ask this also, spend your money on people. I know that there are hundreds of charities out there that help animals and the rainforest and other such causes. Don’t be afraid to give to them too, but let me ask that your primary giving be towards helping people. Life is short and can be very brutal for some people, so let’s work together to touch their lives. There is a lot of hurt out there and never enough people willing to help.
Planting trees is an act of hope. So is generosity. It gives you hope in humanity and it gives other people hope in humanity. It changes everyone it touches and, just like trees, acts of generosity will continue to spread joy for years to come.
When you get your next paycheck this month, take something from it and give it away.
Plant a tree of generosity.
If you need some suggestions of places to donate, here are a few local, national, and international organizations that I can recommend:
Phoenix Rescue Mission – www.phoenixrescuemission.org – Helps provide shelter, food, and skills training to assist homeless men, women, and families.
Streetlight Ministries - www.streetlightphx.org – Helps rescue underage girls forced into prostitution at an average age of 13 years old. Provides drug rehab, job training, GED classes, and counseling as well as shelter and a home until they can take care of themselves.
HOW Home – www.thisishowhome.org – provides a home and helping hand to transgendered people living on the streets. Helps them get back their life.
Rapha House – www.raphahouse.org – an international group committed to stop sex slavery in Southeast Asia. Provides housing and job training for teen and preteen girls (as young as six) to get out of forced prostitution.
The Dream Center – www.dreamcenter.org – Provides help for the poorest and most marginalized people in Los Angeles, New York, and Phoenix.
World Vision – www.wvi.org – Provides immediate international emergency relief in disaster and war torn areas of the world and long term help to villages and communities through child sponsorship, education, clean water wells, etc.
Mountain View Christian Church Benevolence Fund – www.mvccaz.com – Our church (and most other churches) maintains a Benevolence fund which provides immediate financial assistance with food, rent, and utility bills to those in need. This money goes directly to those in the immediate community who are in need and does NOT pay salaries, building repairs, or any other day-to-day costs. You can contact us at 602-955-9414 if you want to make a donation to this fund OR, call up almost any church or synagogue to do the same.
Disclaimer: I am not a trained financial advisor, I just play one on this blog. Seriously. Get good financial advice in life. My information comes primarily from personal experience, working in consumer lending in the banking industry, and watching friends, family, and parishioners struggle. But, much of this is common sense; most people just don't use their common sense when it comes to financial matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog