Monday, October 26, 2009

Bad Boys

“Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?” These are the theme song lyrics to the TV Show Cops. Each week, this Reality Series show has camera men ride along with local police and law enforcement departments around the nation. The cameraman follows along as officers pull over suspects, raid houses, and pull sting operations. There’s no commentator, no follow-up, and no explanation, only the here and now.

A typical scene goes something like this: We meet Officer Johnson and he explains to us how long he has been a cop and why he became one. Then, he receives a garbled radio call in his squad car. The camera, seated next to him records everything. Officer Johnson tells us that this area of town is known for its drug problems and that there currently is a suspect outside fighting with someone else. The camera looks forward as we race through the streets with lights and sirens blaring. We roll up to the scene and several questionable looking people race up to the car and tell the officer, (in the most ignorant sounding accent you can imagine) “Them there boys is a fightin.” Officer Johnson gets out and both suspects run. The camera shakes all over the place as the cameraman tries to keep up with Officer Johnson and the running suspect, crossing through people’s back yards and over streets. When the camera finally catches up, all of the action is done. Officer Johnson has his knee on the suspects head and is handcuffing the man. He announces out of breath, “The other one got away, but this guy dropped his drugs.” The suspect is then taken off to the car and we get out-of-breath analysis from three or four other cops involved in the chase. The camera then cuts to the next scene.
I don’t watch television at home, but when I get a chance, I love to catch a glimpse of this show. I know it’s probably a terrible show and not worth watching, but for some reason, I cannot turn it off. I have tried to figure out why this is. Perhaps there is a secret satisfaction of seeing someone else get their come-uppance. Or, maybe it’s the carnal side of me that likes to see a little blood and action. It could possibly be human nature to laugh at other people’s folly. Despite some rude references about West Virginia by friends of mine, I don’t think it is because I’ll see my hillbilly relatives on there.
I truly respect police officers and the job that they do, putting their very lives on the line so that my family can sleep safely at night. But, I can’t help but think that my interest in this show has nothing to do with these heroic men and women; I think it has more to do with a perverted sense of justice in my own heart.
There, but for the grace of God, go I. I have done things in my life that would have meant that a fine gentleman in blue would have taken me before a guy in long black robes with a hammer to have a discussion about immediate future as a guest of the state. I did not get caught at the time and grew out of such behavior – yet, I realize that I could very well have been in front of that camera on cops.
I also realize, in my journey towards God that there is much that I have to atone for. I know the blackness of my own heart, my selfishness, greed, lust, pride, envy, hate, and much more. I know that I deserve punishment, but am very thankful that Jesus provides me with grace and mercy.
Yet… There is still that carnal side of me that gleefully watches someone else get busted.
I know who the real bad boy is.
I’m very glad that God doesn’t have a TV show like Cops where he busts sinners.
On that thought... Just promise me that if you do ever see God’s Cops show some day and there is a chubby bearded guy running from the camera, turn the television off. It’s a terrible show and not worth watching.

2 comments:

  1. Soooo, when are you going to come up for a ride along? Then you can see action (or lack thereof) firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still want to, just haven't gotten around to scheduling the time. Can I use the taser on someone???? Pretty please? I watched this episode of COPS where they used it on these two really large 6'4"+ 280 pound+ Samoan dudes. They went down like a sack of potatoes. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog