Thursday, October 20, 2011

John

“What is this generation going to do?” asked John, as he stood in the doorway of my office, “How are they ever going to survive this economy?”  John is an older man who lives around the corner from the church.  He stops in my office about once a month for a short conversation.  That’s a joke, because, if you knew John, you’d know that there’s no such thing as a short conversation when he comes around.  He’s been retired for a lot of years and forgets that not everyone has as much free time as he does.  Sometimes I groan inwardly when I see him come in, because I know I have to stop what I’m doing for a half hour, but in the end, I generally enjoy our conversations.  He has seen a lot of things in 80 plus years of life and, I have learned that if you ask the right questions, he always has an interesting story.

I can’t call John an old man, because, though he is more than twice my age, he is still very spry.  He lives his life much more fully than many people that I’ve met who are a quarter of his age.  He rides around on his bicycle and tinkers around in his tool shed.  He works in his garden, and fixes stuff around the neighborhood.  And, he comes in and talks to the young pastor in his neighborhood on a regular basis.

Usually, when John comes in, it’s to talk about something specific.  He has something on his mind, be it a neighbor who isn’t taking care of their property, or to talk about some issue of the day. 

Today, he was wondering about the economy and the Occupy Wall Street protests in the streets.  He told me that this ‘recession’ seemed to be turning into a depression, and he was worried about his country.  “This generation thinks they should be given everything; they don’t want to work for it, they don’t want to earn their own way,” he told me, “How are they going to survive this.” 

I know John was a child during the Great Depression, as he has shared some of his stories about World War II.  So, I asked him, “How did your generation make it?”

He looked me in the eye and said, “Well, we buckled down and did what we had to do.  We worked hard.  We saved things and made due.  We worked together to help each other.  We didn’t run out to buy something new when it broke, we just fixed it.  But, it’s different today, we didn’t have computers and all this new stuff that everyone thinks they need.” 

“It’s no different today, John,” I replied, “The answer today is the same as it was back then.  People in the 1920s had luxuries, they were frivolous.  But, when the 1930s and 40s came, they learned.  They cut back and made better choices.  They worked harder.  They scrimped and saved.  They treated their possessions with more value.  Families and communities helped each other.  They grew gardens and canned food.  They quit being so wasteful.  It wasn't pretty, it wasn't easy, but you did what you had to do.  That’s what you grew up with, right?” 

“Yes, sir, that’s how we did it.”

“Then,” I went on, “That’s how this generation is going to do it.  We just have some hard lessons to learn first.  And, some of us are going to learn the hard lessons and some of us won’t.  The ones that don’t are going to struggle and blame others for their problems.  Those that learn those hard lessons will make it through together, and be better for it.” 

I don’t think he really needed me to tell him that, I think he was just looking for reassurance that someone else knew the answer too.

John smiled at me and headed back out the door to his truck.  He stopped and looked back at me.  His parting shot was, “I don’t think you’ll have to work too hard to learn those lessons.”

I hope not, John, I truly hope not.

#Occupy Yourselves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog