Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Little Fella

I performed a funeral this last week. In my line of work, funerals are to be expected as regular fare, but this one was different.

My wife, my daughter, and I gathered around a small hole in the front yard, really nothing more than a single shovel-full of dirt. My little girl was sobbing and gripping my leg as we laid out her beta fish, Little Fella.

Little Fella was buried with full Fishy honors, wrapped in a beautiful white bed of paper towel, (the good absorbent kind mind you). Wrapped up with him in his funereal robe of white was his favorite plant from his fish tank.

My daughter shared a few words through her tears about her favorite times with Little Fella and I said a prayer committing his little fishy soul to the big Fish Bowl in the Sky. We then covered the hole with dirt and went back inside.


Rest in Peace Little Fella 2005-2009.
Little Fella is survived by two cats and by my daughter.
In lieu of flowers, please send love.

2 comments:

  1. Four years is a good long life for a fishy...sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Son --

    Your account of Little Fella's funeral brings to mind the difficult funerals we had for your's and Randall's pets as you grew up.

    Your experience with Little Fella brought a lump to my throat.

    As always, love is directed your way.

    -- Dad

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog