Friday, February 12, 2010

The Journey - A Skit for Church


This is a skit co-written by Rodger S. Loar and Erin Paige. It was performed Sunday, January 31, 2010 at Mountain View Christian Church by Nate Allen, Rebecca Loar, and Bedillia Gonzeles. Directed by Erin Paige. Copyright January 2010.
If you like the skit and wish to use it for your church, you have our permission so long as you give written credit in the bulletin or or other service flyer as follows: "The Journey - written by Rodger S. Loar and Erin Paige, Copyright January 2010, www.rodg3r.blogspot.com."
---
The Journey
Actor A is walking across the stage very slowly. He is carrying and/or dragging a large very full army bag that is obviously very heavy. It should be stuffed with paper but also have some very heavy items that make noise especially as he sets it down. He is struggling. He tries different positions, sometimes he tries to drag it, sometimes carry it. He slips and falls. Actor A finally gets frustrated and sits down dropping the bag with a loud clunk putting his head in his hands.
(Actor B enters also carrying a bag but it is smaller and lighter.)
Actor B: Why are you just sitting here on your Christian Journey?
Actor A: Because it’s hard. I don’t think I’ll ever be good enough or strong enough for this walk. Being a Christian is not easy. This road is really rough and I’ve got all this baggage. I don’t know if I’m going to make it. (Puts head in hands)
Actor B: Wow. That’s a big bag. Whatcha got in there?
Actor A opens up his bag and begins to take items out to represent his life load.
Actor A: (Pulls out a large chain) This chain is my addiction. (Keeps pulling chain out of bag for a long time, passing it to Actor B)
Actor B: Whoa, that’s a lot of chain! That must be some addiction.
Actor A: I have carried it a very long time. I’ve tried to get help, but I just can’t seem to break it. (he pulls a short length of chain trying to break it)
(He then leaves Actor B holding the chain and then reaches back into his bag and pulls out an absurdly large Victorian type family picture frame with picture of family and barbed wire tacked around the edge) Then there is my family. My wife and I just don’t seem to enjoy each other as much anymore. We’re both so stressed and we end up taking it out on each other. We fight about everything. And the kids, they are struggling with school and getting into trouble. And then there are my inlaws, Oh my inlaws (hand on head and rolls eyes)
Actor B: (Tries to grab the frame) Ouch! Is that barbed wire on there?
Actor A: (conspiratorially) you’d have to know my family
Actor B: (gestures to her own backpack) You should see my family… (pause, while they share a knowing look) What else you got in there?
Actor A: (Pulls out a sledge hammer and a smaller claw hammer handing them to Actor B. Actor B struggles with the weight and finally sets them down) Work is rough. They laid off a lot of people last month and I don’t know how much longer I’ll have a job. And, now I’m working long hours doing all their work too! Plus, most of the guys at work aren’t Christian and they always seem to get me to do things that aren’t very Jesusy.
(He starts rooting around in the bag some more and flippantly pulls out a large wad of cash)
Actor B: Well it sure looks like money is good.
Actor A: Wait. (pulls out 5 big stacks of bills, one after the other, handing each to Actor B) Yeah, but there's more bills than money. We are constantly struggling to pay the bills. We don’t make the best choices with our money, we’re always eating out and seem to buy a bunch of stuff we don’t need. (He reaches back in the bag and pulls out a soccer ball, a drum stick, a pair of large swim flippers, ballet slippers, and a football Actor B keeps trying to hold onto everything as he pulls it out, juggling everything ) Oh yes, there’s the kids. They are so busy with sports and clubs and stuff. They’re each involved in too many activities; we are constantly running them to and from one thing to another. We barely have time to breathe.
Actor B: (somewhat taken aback) My goodness, is there more???
(Actor A reaches in bag and pulls out a very large, very sticky ball of tape [wad up black electrical tape into a big ball, with the sticky side out]) Then, there is my grudge with my dad. I am stuck and I can’t seem to let it go. I just can’t seem to forgive him for everything he did. I am so angry. (Actor A sticks the ball of tape to Actor B – Actor B responds with a grossed out look on her face)
Actor B: You know, you don’t have to walk this road alone. Everyone has their struggles. Heck, I’ve got baggage of my own (Indicates her own backpack) I’ve had people help me through. Maybe I can help. How bout we leave some of this stuff at the cross. Why don’t we start with your kids. They learn how to balance their lives from you. Maybe you could encourage them to each give up one of their activities. They don’t have to do them all and you will help them learn time management. Maybe we can leave some of this here as a start. (she places most of the sports stuff at the cross, but Actor A takes back the ballet shoes and the drum stick)
Actor A: Yeah, then they would have time for homework, or church, or maybe then I could get to see them once in awhile that’s not in the car rushing somewhere.
Actor B: Right. What about work?? Can we leave your worries about work here?
Actor A: I don’t think I’m quite ready to let go of all that yet. (He leaves large hammer on the ground, but takes small hammer and puts it in the pack).)
Actor B: That’s ok. Maybe we can work on that together. I know it’s hard, but we can be praying together. And don’t forget, I can help you carry things too. In fact, give me some of that chain (she takes half and puts it in her bag, the rest is left where it lays on the ground).
Actor A: I would like to be better with my money. Can you help me find ways to do that too?
Actor B: Sure. I have a friend at church who’s really good with money. I’ll introduce you Sunday. He helped me learn how to save and even give money back to God by donating to church and some of my favorite charities. Do you think you can leave your money here and trust God with it?
Actor A: Yeah I’d like to. It is really hard, maybe I could just leave part of it now. (takes about half of the money and leaves it in front of the cross, puts the rest of the money and the bills back in the bag for now).
Actor B: There! Your load is looking lighter already. Let’s keep walking. Maybe we can learn some things together.
(The 2 continue walking. Actor A stumbles but Actor B helps them back up and they keep walking.)
Actor C comes on stage struggling with a large bag of her own. Actor A and Actor B watch for a moment and then Actor B starts to walk over to help. But, Actor A puts a hand out to stop her and says:
Actor A: That’s alright! I’ve got this one! (heads over and puts his hand on Actor C’s shoulder) “You know, you don’t have to walk this road alone.
(lights fade to black. Galatians 6:2 is displayed on the video screen while a voice reads it aloud.)
Galatians 6:2 Carry Each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ














































































































































1 comment:

  1. Thank you this is such a meaningful skit. Continue to Walk in His light

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog