Friday, April 30, 2010

Financial Tip # 7 – The Old Man and the Mountain

As I sit writing this, I can look out my office window and see Squaw Peak Mountain. Every day, dozens, if not hundreds of people climb this mountain. I’m not sure why, because it is all desert and just plain hard work, but people do it anyway. I have climbed Squaw Peak several times with friends who got a wild hair and decided this was a wise idea. The last time I climbed Squaw Peak, I was huffin' and a puffin' about halfway up and I heard this huffing sound behind me. I looked back and there was this old man who looked to be about 100 years old running up the mountain. He was all skin, sinew and bone and must have weighed less than his age. But, he was moving and fast. He wore a determined look on his face and never looked side to side at the people he passed; he focussed only on the trail ahead. He ran past me and soon disappeared up the trail. I continued plodding along and by the time I had hit the ¾ mark (where it starts to get really hard), the same old man came running back down the mountain at full speed. He had already been to the top and back!!! That was very discouraging and I considered turning around and going home then and there. I didn’t want him to pass me again going back up a second time!

This brings us to our next financial tip. You have to focus on your own goals. No two people are alike. No two families are alike. There are some basic financial principles that apply to most people, but the way you employ them in your own life may differ from your neighbor.
It’s really easy to look at the guy next to you and wish you had it as good as him. This budget and finance stuff would be easy if we had a paid off house like he does. That family over there makes much more money than we do, we’d be farther along in our plan if we made that much. Look at her, her family bought her everything in life and now she just received a huge inheritance to boot; we can’t ever catch a break.
I didn’t know the story of the old man on the mountain. Why was he running? What did he have to prove? What had happened to him in life that got him there? The same is true of finances. I don’t know what other people really have going for them or what they’re dealing with. All I can focus on is myself and my family when it comes to financial planning. Our situation is the one that matters to our budget. I must keep the faith. With disciplined spending, wise budgeting, and focus on our goal, our family will get where we need to be.
On that trail that day, there were dozens of people going at different speeds. Some took side trails. Some stopped for a water break and to look at the view. There were some who quit part way and others that doggedly made it to the top. I made it that day, not as fast as the old guy, but I did make it. With that same determination, you too can make it with your financial goals, making a wise budget, becoming debt free, funding your retirement, and reaching the point where you can spend for fun, but only if you focus on your goals and not on wishing you had what someone else has.

Disclaimer: I am not a trained financial advisor, I just play one on this blog. Seriously. Get good financial advice in life. My information comes primarily from personal experience, working in consumer lending in the banking industry, and watching friends, family, and parishioners struggle. But, much of this is common sense; most people just don't use their common sense when it comes to financial matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog