Monday, September 14, 2009

Eavesdropping - Part II

7:00 am. Again, sitting in an almost empty classroom waiting for Biology class to start. Surfing the net on my laptop.

Girl 1 and Girl 2 are again sitting somewhere behind me having a conversation. The same two girls from the last Eavesdropping blog. (http://rodg3r.blogspot.com/2009/08/eavesdropping.html)
Girl 1, “You know, Jews don’t proselytize. They don’t push their religion off on other people. I really respect that.”
Girl 2, “ Yeah, me too.”
I have no idea who these girls are, but again, I wonder if they have ever really thought through their beliefs and ideas.
I want to ask the question, “If you believed in something that separated you from others, that changed your life, and ultimately gave you meaning and answers, as well as a promise of salvation from death…wouldn’t you want to share it with others? “
Penn Gillette, an outspoken atheist addressed this same question, asking, “How much would you have to hate someone not to proselytize them?
I see plenty of bumper-sticker Christianity out there, pithy sayings on cars, silly prayers before ball games, and contrived conversations to ‘lead people to Christ.’ I also see guys standing on street corners with megaphones and signs or sitting at basketball games with signs that say John 3:16.
I don’t want to be those people. I know my life, I know the person I was before I began following Jesus, and I know how far I’ve come. I want to share this.
I never did speak with those girls. I hope they learn to think through their beliefs and ideas.
I pray that someone who knows them and cares will share God’s love with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog